Many GPS devices offer navigation features to help you follow a route. There are too many different devices for us to give advice on using each one but below is some advice on using the popular Garmin Forerunner 205/305 running GPS models.
On Your Computer (skip this if using Direct Transfer to Garmin GPS)
- Download the route to your computer as a Garmin Course File and save it.
- Launch the Garmin Training Center software that came with your Forerunner and Import the Course File (under the 'File' menu).
- Connect your Forerunner to your computer and select 'Send to Device' to transfer the Course to your Forerunner.
On your Forerunner
- To start following the route, select 'Training', 'Courses', 'Do Course' from the menu on your Forerunner.
- Press the 'Mode' button to switch from the data screens to the route map.
- Your position will be indicated by a filled-in triangle and the route will be shown as a line with an unfilled triangle at the start.
- Move around until you find the start of the route, then press the 'Start' button and start running in the direction of the route.
- Follow the line indicating the route. The filled-in triangle indicating your position will move along the route. Your Virtual Partner's position (if enabled) will be shown as an unfilled triangle.
- GPS devices usually rely on movement to determine direction, so before you start you will need to walk a few metres in the same direction for it to know which way you are facing.
- You can zoom in and out of the route map by pressing the up and down arrow buttons.
- The circle around your current position shows the potential inaccuracy of the GPS signal.
- Pressing the 'Mode' button while viewing the route map on the Forerunner will display a compass, which can be used as an alternative to the map if you prefer.
- You will probably find it easier to use the on-screen map if the map is oriented to the direction of travel rather than pointing North. To change this, select 'Settings', 'General', 'Map', 'Track Up' from your Forerunner menu.
- If you can't find the Map screen on your Forerunner, check that it is switched on by selecting 'Settings', 'General', 'Map' from the menu.
- You can switch your Virtual Partner on or off by selecting 'Training', 'Training Options', 'Virtual Partner' from the menu.
- Older Forerunner models don't have a Compass. If this is missing, download the latest Firmware from Garmin to add it.